The Balloon Foundation’s journey began when a group of students found them selves in a run down kids home of Hillbrow where the walls were tearing apart and a pungent smell filled the area however the kids had spread such light that the area we were in was completely forgotten.
The realization that we are a group of diverse students who all come with some unique talents to the table dawned upon us. We pooled all these talents together and we were able to provide the 98 kids of this home with a fun day in just under 2 weeks. That is how we became the balloon foundation , by creating a platform for students to use their talents in a fun and interactive way to give back to others.
One event led to the next and we have completed various projects which include:
- Financing the building of a well that serves a community of 135 people in Kiota Niger.
- Hosting a high tea at Abida’s Frail Care Centre (a local old age home) as well as distributing care packages to its 22 residents.
- Co-ordinating a full holiday program for the youth of Hillbrow and providing them with back to school packs for their new year.
- Providing weekly meals to some of the kids at Kids Haven in Benoni.
- Tutoring kids at Kids Haven.
- Sponsoring the financial needs of two orphans.
- Facilitating a text-book drive.
- Hosting an amazing race Gender Based Violence Edition with the aim of educating, advocating and raising funds for GBV survivors.
- Hosting a week long skills development workshop for women of the
- NISAA centre who have faced abused
- A clothing drive for a local madressa in Hillbrow
- Issuing winter warmth packs and assisting in the funding of heaters for the MAP Program in Soweto.
Our current aim is taking towards a sustainable approach. The Balloon Foundation is extreamely passionate about fighting against gbv . We thus aim to continue our 1-in-2 campaign with the hope of finding a sustainable way of having an impact on this course.
081 428 9568
instagram : @theballoonfounation , twitter: @theballoonfoun1 , facebook: The Balloon Foundation